What To Look For When Buying Fishing Sunglasses
Fishing sunglasses are a crucial piece of equipment for any angler. They not only protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays but also help you see into the water, allowing you to spot fish and structure more easily. But with so many options available, how do you choose the right pair? In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make an informed decision.
- Polarization: Polarization is one of the most important factors to consider when buying fishing sunglasses. Polarized lenses reduce glare and help you see into the water more clearly. They also enhance colors and contrast, allowing you to distinguish between different types of fish and structures. Look for sunglasses that have high-quality polarized lenses for the best performance.
- Lens Color: The color of the lenses can also affect your vision when fishing. Different lens colors are designed for specific fishing conditions. For example, copper lenses are ideal for low light conditions, while gray lenses are best for bright sunny days. Green lenses are a good all-purpose option that works well in most fishing situations. Consider the fishing conditions you’ll be facing and choose a lens color that will provide the best visibility.
- UV Protection: Fishing sunglasses should also provide adequate UV protection. Look for sunglasses that block 100% of both UVA and UVB rays. UV protection not only protects your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays but also reduces eye fatigue and strain, allowing you to fish comfortably for longer periods.
- Frame Material: The frame material is another important factor to consider when buying fishing sunglasses. Frames can be made from a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and nylon. Nylon frames are a popular choice for fishing sunglasses as they are lightweight, durable, and flexible. They can also withstand exposure to saltwater and other harsh conditions. Metal frames are another option, but they can be heavier and less flexible than nylon frames.
- Fit: Getting the right fit is crucial when it comes to fishing sunglasses. Ill-fitting sunglasses can cause discomfort and affect your vision. Look for sunglasses that fit snugly but comfortably on your face. They should not be too tight or too loose, and the nose pads should sit comfortably on your nose.
- Coverage: The coverage provided by the sunglasses is also important. Look for sunglasses that provide full coverage around your eyes to prevent glare and UV rays from entering from the sides. Wraparound styles are a popular choice for fishing sunglasses as they provide maximum coverage.
- Durability: Fishing can be a harsh and demanding sport, so it’s important to choose sunglasses that are durable and can withstand exposure to saltwater, sand, and other elements. Look for sunglasses that are made from high-quality materials and have sturdy hinges and frames.
- Brand Reputation: Finally, consider the reputation of the brand when choosing fishing sunglasses. Look for brands that have a good reputation for quality, durability, and performance. Read reviews from other anglers to get an idea of the pros and cons of different brands and models.
Choosing the right pair of fishing sunglasses involves considering a variety of factors, including polarization, lens color, UV protection, frame material, fit, coverage, durability, and brand reputation. By taking the time to evaluate your needs and preferences, and by trying on different sunglasses before making a purchase, you can ensure that you choose a pair of fishing sunglasses that will improve your fishing experience and protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays.